Super Bowl Draws More Than 24 Million Tweets, Exceeding Last Year's Record
A power outage got most tweets per minute as News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch was among those chiming in on the game.
Sunday's Super Bowl between the Baltimore Ravens and San Francisco 49ers drew 24.1 million tweets, micro-blogging service Twitter said late Sunday.
That was well above last year's 13.7 million tweets during the game between the New York Giants and New England Patriots. The Super Bowl tweet count also exceeded the about 23 million tweets during the night of the U.S. presidential election.
"The roar of the crowd was comprised of 24.1 million tweets about the game and half-time show," excluding the ads, Twitter said in a blog post. "By the beginning of the second half, the volume of tweets had already surpassed last year’s tweet total."
The moments generating the biggest peaks of social-media activity were a temporary power outage, which drew 231,500 tweets per minute, and a record 108-yard kick-off return for the Ravens, which led to a touchdown and attracted 185,000 tweets per minute.
Beyonce's half-time show generated 5.5 million of the more than 24 million tweets, peaking with 268,000 tweets per minute at the end of the performance.
News Corp. chairman and CEO Rupert Murdoch was among those chiming in on the game action Sunday night.
"Ravens too good, too big, too fast," he tweeted at some point during the game, which aired on CBS. "Hope next year's game on [News Corp.'s] Fox a lot closer."
He also commented on the commercials, saying: "Great advts from Jeep tonight."
But as the 49ers came closer during the second half of the game, the media mogul revised his comments. "Sure spoke too soon. Seems we have a game!" Murdoch tweeted.
The Super Bowl's most-mentioned players were the Ravens' Ray Lewis and quarterback Joe Flacco, followed by 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick, according to Twitter.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 5 Reasons The 'Broad City' Women Are The Stoner Heroines You've Been Waiting For
- Justin Bieber And Selena Gomez's Sexy Dance Probably Means They're Dating Again
- Eva Tamargo Of 'Tyler Perry's The Haves And The Have Nots' Explains Why She Likes Being A TV Villain (VIDEO)
- U2 Album Delay Rumors Denied By Band's Rep
- Lena Dunham to 'Glamour': I Don't Know if I Want to Continue Acting
- Kit Harington's Muscles Bulge Out of His Shirt for 'Men's Health UK' April 2014
- Eva Longoria & Oprah Winfrey Support Maria Shriver at 'Paycheck to Paycheck' Screening!
- Rosario Dawson & America Ferrera Are Feeling Blue at 'Cesar Chavez' SXSW Premiere!