Super Bowl: Seahawks Score on Social Media
The winning team's big plays were among the top moments on Twitter, Facebook and TiVo, with Bruno Mars' halftime show and the "Seinfeld"-themed "Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee" promo drawing interest.
Sunday night's Super Bowl match-up may have turned into a dull game, with the Seahawks routing the Broncos, but that didn't dampen social media enthusiasm. More than 24.9 million tweets about the game and halftime show were sent, beating the 24.1 million tweets sent during last year's nail biter, which also suffered a blackout during the second half. On Facebook, 50 million people had more than 185 million interactions related to the Super Bowl. And it was the on-the-field action that most captivated people on Facebook, Twitter and TiVo.
The top three moments on Twitter and Facebook were the same: Seahawks wide receiver Percy Harvin opening the second half with an 87-yard kickoff return for a touchdown, which had 381,605 tweets per minute; Seahawks wide receiver Jermaine Kearse scoring a third-quarter touchdown to extend Seattle's lead, which had 271,775 tweets per minute; and Broncos QB Peyton Manning throwing a pick-six toward the end of the second quarter, which had 244,889 tweets per minute.
The fourth and fifth most social moments on Facebook were also game incidents: the final whistle blows, giving the Seahawks their first Super Bowl win, and Broncos' wide receiver Demaryius Thomas scoring Denver's first and only touchdown.
On Twitter, the fourth and fifth biggest moments occurred during halftime, with the end of the halftime show producing 229,533 tweets per minute and Bruno Mars and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' performance of "Give It Away" producing 215,540 tweets per minute.
The players most mentioned on Twitter were the Seahawks' Harvin, CB Richard Sherman and QB Russell Wilson, and the Broncos' Manning and wide receivers Eric Decker and Wes Welker.
On TiVo, Harvin's kickoff return TD was the third most rewatched moment from the game. The most rewatched moment, according to TiVo was the bad snap on the opening drive that led to a Seahawks safety. The second most rewatched moment was the Seahawks' early field goal, putting the team up 5-0.
TiVo also found that viewership for the halftime show exceeded that of the overall game, adding that the top halftime moment was when Mars began to sing following his opening drum solo.
TiVo also measured which of this year's Super Bowl commercials and promos were the most engaging. The revelation that the recent top-secret Seinfeld reunion was for a special edition of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee was the most rewatched promo of the game. The second most popular ad was Budweiser's "Puppy Love" commercial, with GoDaddy's "Bodybuilder," Doritos' "Cowboy Kid" and Toyota Highlander's "Terry Crews & the Muppets" spots rounding out the top five. The full list of the top 10 most engaging Super Bowl commercials according to TiVo's research and analytics is below:
1. Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee (Halftime) - It may not have been a true paid ad, but it functioned as one to consumers.
2. Budweiser's "Puppy Love" (4th Quarter)
3. GoDaddy's "Bodybuilder" (4th Quarter)
4. Doritos's "Cowboy Kid" (4th Quarter)
5. Toyota Highlander's "Terry Crews & the Muppets" (2nd Quarter)
6. Doritos's "Time Machine" (1st Quarter)
7. RadioShack's "The Phone Call" (1st Quarter)
8. Oikos Greek Yogurt's "The Spill" (4th Quarter)
9. Bud Light's "Up for Whatever #2" (1st Quarter)
10. Squarespace's "A Better Web Awaits" (1st Quarter)
Even though it was a blowout game, four of the top 10 most engaging ads were in the fourth quarter, TiVo found.
"With the game having such lopsidedness, certainly we were curious about what would happen in the fourth quarter if viewers would tune out," TiVo senior vp content and media sales Tara Maitra told The Hollywood Reporter. "But four of the top 10 ads were in the fourth quarter. Certainly viewers stayed tuned in throughout the game. They were watching the ads at least."
Watch the Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee promo again below.
Natalie Jarvey contributed to this report.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack