SXSW 2012: MTV Announces New 'Artists.MTV' Music Platform
The pro-artist music initiative will launch this summer, giving musicians of all levels the opportunity to reach the Viacom Music Group community.
Viacom Music Group president Van Toffler announced Thursday the launch of MTV’s latest pro-artist initiative, the multiplatform Artists.MTV.
The new site is set to launch publicly this summer and will provide artists -- both established and emerging -- a new digital space to house their content. Artists.MTV will provide exposure for its artists on multiple MTV Music Group screens, including web, mobile and TV, across MTV, VH1 and CMT.
Toffler also revealed a new working-title program called Full Frontal, set for a summer release, in which artists chosen by audience and industry sourcing will be showcased across the Music Group’s numerous TV channels.
“With Artists.MTV, we want to make music history accesible and spotlight the best new music, and the best way to do that is by giving our millions of fans access to the most compelling performances, interviews and reviews -- and then add a bunch of amazing content supplied by the artists themselves,” said Toffler at this year’s South By Southwest festival. “There is infinite choice out there, but with this artist platform, we can help fans organize the chaos, connect with artists directly, and unearth those musical gems that truly deserve to shine.”
Artists.MTV will kick off with an “Artists Only” private beta launch in May before opening a private beta for music fans later this spring. Through a partnership with Topspin, artists from all walks will be able to individualize their page by uploading music, videos and photographs, syncing their social media pages and selling merchandise, memberships and tickets directly to fans. The majority of profits -- though a percentage was not explicitly stated -- will go directly to the artists.
Interested artists can register for the private beta now at artists.mtv.com.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)