EXCLUSIVE: Taco Bell Pulls Ads From MTV’s 'Skins' Over Racy Content
"We’ve decided that the show is not a fit for our brand and have moved our advertising to other MTV programming," a rep tells THR.
Taco Bell has pulled its ads off Skins after the Parents Television Council urged people to contact the company to protest.
Spokesperson Rob Poetsch tells The Hollywood Reporter, "We advertise on a variety of MTV programs that reach our core demographic of 18 to 34 year olds, which included the premiere episode of Skins."
"Upon further review, we’ve decided that the show is not a fit for our brand and have moved our advertising to other MTV programming," he added.
One day after it was reported Viacom executives ordered producers to tone down its racy teen drama, the PTC also announced it's asking the Department of Justice and U.S. Senate and House Judiciary Committees to open an investigation.
"In addition to the sexual content on the show involving cast members as young as 15, PTC counted 42 depictions and references to drugs and alcohol in the premiere episode," the group wrote in a letter to the government organizations.
"It is clear that Viacom has knowingly produced material that may well be in violation of [several anti-child pornography laws]," added the PTC, which earlier called the show "the most dangerous program ever for children."
The New York Times reported that a number of executives met on Tuesday over concerns the show could violate pornography laws.
While MTV did not confirm that, a rep for the network said, "Skins is a show that addresses real-world issues confronting teens in a frank way. We review all of our shows and work with all of our producers on an ongoing basis to ensure our shows comply with laws and community standards. We are confident that the episodes of Skins will not only comply with all applicable legal requirements, but also with our responsibilities to our viewers.”
Taco Bell isn't the first major food chain to pull out of a controversial MTV show.
Domino's Pizza yanked its ad spots from Jersey Shore in 2009.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)