Taiwan Documentary 'Beyond Beauty' Breaks Local Box Office Record
The feature-length aerial tribute to Taiwan's natural beauty pulled in $373,868 in its first three days and is nominated for Best Documentary at the upcoming Taipei Golden Horse Awards.
Aerial photography documentary Beyond Beauty: Taiwan From Above has soared to $373,868 (NT$11 million) in its first three days at the Taiwanese box office, a record opening for a documentary in the territory.
The film was directed by Chi Po-lin, a former civil servant turned aerial photographer. It was produced by prominent Taiwnese director Hou Hsiao-hsien and scored by Ricky Ho, who did the soundtrack for Wei Te-sheng's 2011 art house hit, Warriors of the Rainbow: Seediq Bale, among other top Taiwanese projects.
The film offers stunning overhead views of Taiwan Island’s natural beauty -- from its rolling green mountains to craggy coastlines -- to communicate a gentle environmentalist message.
It is now showing at 44 cinemas across Taiwan, the widest release ever of a locally made documentary, according to distributor Activator Marketing Co.
Beyond Beauty is nominated in the Best Documentary and Best Original Score categories at the Tapei Golden Horse Awards, which will be held Nov. 23.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10