'Tar' Trailer: James Franco, Mila Kunis, Jessica Chastain as Directed by 12 NYU Film Students
The project, about poet C.K. Williams, premiered at last year's Rome Film Festival.
That it exists at all makes Tar an extraordinary feat in independent filmmaking.
Written and directed by 12 -- yes, 12 -- New York University film students and featuring an all-star ensemble that includes James Franco, Mila Kunis, Jessica Chastain, Zach Braff and even Bruce Campbell, the artful film seeks to depict the life of C.K. Williams via his Pulitzer Prize-winning poems.
The ever-prolific Franco -- whose recent acting credits include This Is the End, Spring Breakers, Oz the Great and Powerful, Palo Alto, S&M art film Interior. Leather Bar., plus turns in his two directorial outings, Child of God and As I Lay Dying -- plays the writer at age 40, who, supported by wife Catherine (another pairing with Oz co-star Kunis), prepares to unveil his seminal verse collection, Tar, at a reading in New York City.
The narrative takes us from 1940s Detroit, where we meet Williams' mother (Chastain), through his adolescence in the 1950s (Braff plays a childhood friend who dies from illness) and towards his career pinnacle in the early 1980s.
Here now is the first trailer for Tar, which premiered last year at the Rome Film Festival.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack