'Game of Thrones,' 'Homeland' Take Top Honors at TCA Awards
Game of Thrones and Homeland won top honors at the Television Critics Association's 28th annual TCA Awards Saturday evening.
The invitation-only event, hosted by Breaking Bad’s multiple-Emmy winner Bryan Cranston, took place at The Beverly Hilton, home to the TCA’s summer press tour currently underway. Breaking Bad, Louie and Downton Abbey were among the other programs honored by the 200-plus members of the organization.
“Whether it was the hard-hitting drama of Homeland, the elegance of Downton Abbey, the brash honesty of Louie or any of our other winners —truly, there was something for everyone,” said TCA president Candace Havens, adding: “The TCA is proud to honor these outstanding programs with the help of the talented and award-winning Bryan Cranston."
Program of the year was awarded to HBO’s Thrones, which beat out fellow nominees Homeland, Mad Men, Breaking Bad and Downton Abbey in the ultra-competitive category. The drama, adapted from George R.R. Martin’s popular book series, will compete against the same critically adored cadre –with the addition of HBO’s Boardwalk Empire—at September’s Emmy Awards. (Abbey was submitted –and won—in the movie, miniseries and specials category at Saturday's award show.)
Showtime’s Homeland, which led the pack with four TCA nominations, walked away with the award for outstanding new program, an honor that went to Thrones last year. In its first season on the air, the Fox 21-produced CIA thriller from Alex Gansa and Howard Gordon has already garnered both a Peabody award and a best drama nod at this year’s Golden Globes.
Elsewhere on cable, FX’s Louie took home its first-ever TCA award for outstanding achievement in comedy (dethroning multi-year winner Modern Family), while AMC's Breaking Bad ousted Mad Men for outstanding achievement in drama. Representing for the otherwise poorly performing broadcast sector, So You Think You Can Dance and 60 Minutes earned nods for best reality programming and achievement in news and information, respectively.
A complete list of the 2012 TCA Awards recipients follows:
· Individual Achievement in Drama: Claire Danes (Homeland, Showtime)
· Individual Achievement in Comedy: Louis C.K. (Louie, FX)
· Outstanding Achievement in News and Information: 60 Minutes (CBS)
· Outstanding Achievement in Reality Programming: So You Think You Can Dance (Fox)
· Outstanding Achievement in Youth Programming: Switched at Birth (ABC Family)
· Outstanding New Program: Homeland (Showtime)
· Outstanding Achievement in Movies, Miniseries and Specials: Masterpiece: Downton Abbey (PBS)
· Outstanding Achievement in Drama: Breaking Bad (AMC)
· Outstanding Achievement in Comedy: Louie (FX)
· Career Achievement Award: David Letterman
· Heritage Award: Cheers
· Program of the Year: Game of Thrones (HBO)