Detained John McAfee Sells Life Rights for Movie, TV
Montreal-based Impact Future Media says it has secured the exclusive IP rights to the embattled anti-virus pioneer, now wanted in Belize over the death of his neighbor.
TORONTO -- U.S. antivirus pioneer John McAfee, recently arrested in Guatemala and facing deportation to Belize as part of a murder investigation, apparently has entrusted his life story to Montreal-based TV producer Impact Future Media.
Honolulu-based Brian Fitzgerald, who co-founded the TV production shingle with CEO Francois Garcia, based in Montreal, said he secured the exclusive IP rights to the embattled tech guru’s story.
“[McAfee] trusts that we will honor his life story in an honest and truthful manner,” Fitzgerald told The Hollywood Reporter in an email statement Monday.
The TV producer is looking for investors and production partners for the project, tentatively titled Running in the Background: The True Story of John McAfee.
Fitzgerald said Impact Future Media inked the deal with McAfee last week and hopes to exploit his life story across a range of media including film, print and TV.
The 67-year-old American businessman so far has eluded police in Belize, where he is wanted for questioning in the slaying of his neighbor, Florida builder Gregory Faull.
Impact Future Media has ties to McAfee through Cartoon Monkey Studio founder Chad Essley, whom it already represents.
The TV producer claims Essley is McAfee’s official cartoonist and is working on the development and management of whoismcafee.com.
“My most heartfelt thank you goes to Impact Future Media and Cartoon Monkey Studio,” McAfee said in a statement issued by the Canadian-based producer Monday. “Their dedication to the truth is very uncommon in the world we live in today. I am now, and will always be, grateful to their organizations."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack