'Ted' Tops 'Jack Reacher' in Japan, While 'Les Miz' Hits $45 Million
Foreign movies take four of the top five weekend box-office slots after local productions dominated last year.
TOKYO – Ted led the Japanese box office for the third consecutive weekend, bringing in a total of $18.4 million (1.7 billion yen) and keeping Jack Reacher off the number-one spot for the Tom Cruise-starrer’s debut.
Japan’s contribution to Ted’s international takings had already brought it over the $300 million mark last Friday.
Jack Reacher, released locally by Paramount as Outlaw, took $3.6 million Friday to Sunday.
Strawberry Night, a spin-off from a Fuji TV series about a female detective (Yuko Takeuchi), both directed by Yuichi Sato, was the only local movie in the weekend top five, an unusually good performance by foreign films. Last year saw imports take only 34.3 percent of the box office, the lowest level for over 45 years.
Life of Pi dropped one spot to fourth place in its second week of release, while Les Miserables was in fifth after seven weeks in the chart. Les Miz, released by Toho-Towa, has now taken more than $45 million (4.1 billion yen), a record for an imported musical in Japan.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!