Telecinco Hits Most Watched Moment in Spanish TV History With Euro 2012 Soccer Match
Overall figures for Monday's game between Spain and Croatia place it ahead of the 2010 World Cup final, which the country won.
MADRID - Spain's Telecinco posted the most watched moment in the history of Spanish television Monday night as the Spanish national soccer team skimmed its way into the quarterfinals of the Euro 2012 soccer championships with nearly 18.14 viewers watching the final moment of the match that finished 1-0 against Croatia.
The 78.2 percent share and the viewing numbers outranked even the 90-minute match of the final of the 2010 World Cup, which Spain won against Holland.
Monday night's overall figures with an average of 14.2 million viewers and audience share of 70.4 percents still sits behind penalty kicks in the quarterfinals against Italy of the 2008 Euro Cup with 15.3 million viewers, the overtime of the 2010 World Cup final match (14.8 million viewers) and the final game of the Euro Cup 2008 against Germany (14.5 million).
World Champions Spain are also the defending champions at the Euro Cup and will next play Saturday night in the quarterfinals. Box office figures from last weekend's match were affected by Spain's Sunday match, with earnings dropping 50% to 600,000 tickets for the weekend of June 8, 9 and 10, with 4 million euros.
Soccer-crazed Spain has seen the Euro Cup and Spain's success directly affect the box office. According to Rentrak, Spanish box office plummeted from 61,030 admissions last Monday to 36,835 this Monday night.
"The Euro Cup doesn't affect overall, it's mostly just when the Spanish team plays," explained Rentrak's David Rodriguez.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- 'Mrs. Doubtfire' Sequel in the Works at Fox 2000 (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Masters Of Sex, Girls & "Boogie Train": Conversations with Michael Penn and Foghat's Roger Earl
- The Americans 'New Car' Recap: "I'm a Good Person, I Swear!"
- The Extremely Hard Lessons That the Themed Entertainment Industry Learned From Hard Rock Park
- Joe Biden Posts First Selfie With None Other Than President Obama