Terrence Howard to play Nelson Mandela
In Jennifer Hudson-starring feature 'Winnie'
TORONTO -- Terrence Howard ("Iron Man") is to portray Nelson Mandela in the Jennifer Hudson-starring feature "Winnie," based on the story of Winnie Mandela, Nelson Mandela's former wife.
Darrell Roodt is directing the $15 million historical drama, a South Africa-Canada co-production set to start production May 31 in Cape Town, Johannesburg and Robben Island, where Nelson Mandela was held prisoner for 18 years.
Also Friday, Canadian distributor D Films said it acquired the Canadian rights to "Winnie," a co-production of Canadian producer Equinoxe Films and South African partner MaAfrika Films.
Toronto-based D Films recently picked up a second Equinoxe title, the $6.4 million film "A Million Colors," another Canada-South African production directed and co-written by Montreal-born and New York City-based Peter Bishai.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Zac Efron, Dave Franco, and Christopher Mintz-Plasse Share Crazy Stories From "Neighbors" Set at SXSW 2014
- Jennifer Aniston Would Trade Bodies With Gisele Bundchen, Is Just Like Us
- What We Want To See In 'Looking' Season 2
- I Ain't Gonna Work on Maggie's Farm No More: 'True Detective' and the Deep Dark Secret of the American Psyche