'The Artist' Named Film of the Year By Capri, Hollywood - The International Film Festival
Director Michel Hazanavicius and actress Berenice Bejo will accept the award on Dec. 30.
ROME – The Artist, the period drama set during the 1920s changeover between silent and talking films that has earned six Golden Globe nominations, was named the 2011 film of the year by the 16th Capri, Hollywood - the International Film Festival, organizers announced Friday.
The next edition of the festival, which is the last and first film festival each year, runs from Dec. 26 to Jan. 2, 2012.
The award will be presented on Dec. 30 to the film’s director, Michel Hazanavicius, and actress Berenice Bejo, the film’s female lead, by Capri-Hollywood’s honorary chairperson, Lina Wertmueller.
"This almost silent and black-and-white movie is a tribute to the Hollywood cinema of the 20s, and is enchanting audiences worldwide with its poetry, showing that even in the age of special effects and 3D, film lovers love and appreciate art in its purest form," Capri Hollywood director Pascal Vicedomini said.
On the same night, Wertmueller will honor Emanuele Crialese with the festival’s prize for his work on Terraferma. The film is Italy’s nominee for the best foreign language Oscar.
Wertmueller the festival’s honorary chair, is best known as the first woman nominated for an Oscar for best picture in 1977, for Pasqualino Settebellesse (Seven Beauties).
The festival previously announced that Bejo would receive the festival's best actress honor, while Michael Fassbender will receive the best actor award for his work in Shame, a drama about sexual addiction.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- 'The Normal Heart's' 30-Year Journey From Barbra Streisand to Ryan Murphy
- T.D. Jakes on Bringing God to Hollywood and Brushing Off Criticism From Cynics
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- ‘True Detective' Is HBO's Most Watched First-Year Series Ever, Passes 'Game Of Thrones'
- The Real Story Of Piper And Alex From 'Orange Is The New Black' Will Surprise You
- Conan Shows 'Rare Footage' Of Jesus Christ's Married Life
- Texas Spitfire Abbie Evans Fights Epidermolysis Bullosa In Cary Bell's Butterfly Girl
- Elizabeth Olsen Has to Shred Her 'Avengers: Age of Ultron' Scripts!
- Kate Bosworth & Camilla Belle Step Out for Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08 Launch Party!
- Gone Girl's Rosamund Pike to 'W Magazine': I Have to Prove I'm as Dark as David Fincher Thinks I Am!
- Miley Cyrus Forced to Cancel St. Louis 'Bangerz' Tour Stop Due to Extended Hospital Stay