'The Artist': How a Black-and-White Silent Movie Defied the Odds and Became an Oscar Contender
2:08 PM PST 11/26/2011 by Scott Timberg
ON LOCATION IN LOS ANGELES: Several historic buildings make cameos in the film.
Ebell Theatre | 743 S. Lucerne Blvd.
The hall where Judy Garland was discovered in 1934 became the film's Kinograph office.
Orpheum Theatre | 842 S. Broadway
The premiere was shot in the 1926 venue.
Los Angeles Theatre | 615 S. Broadway
Peppy's film plays where Chaplin's City Lights premiered in 1931.
Bradbury Building | 304 S. Broadway
Peppy meets George on a Blade Runner stairway.
Mary Pickford Residence | 56 Fremont Place
Peppy lives in star's Hancock Park house.
INSPIRATION FROM THE '20s: The actors drew upon some of the silent era's biggest players for their characters
- Berenice Bejo read actress Gloria Swanson's biography while researching her role. "To me, she represents the American way of life," she says.
- John Goodman plays a cigar-chomping studio boss resembling Cecil B. DeMille.
- "He is like Douglas Fairbanks, with a Gene Kelly smile," says Jean Dujardin of the model for the character Valentin. "And me -- I wasn't born in the '20s, so this was a fantasy of myself as a star."
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Grammy Nominees List 2014: Jay Z, Kendrick Lamar, Justin Timberlake Among Honored Artists
- Grammy 2014 Nominations Include Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, Jay Z And Kendrick Lamar
- Jay Z's 9 Grammys Nominations Top All Artists
- Drake's Grammys Nominations For Best Rap Song, Best Rap Album Take Focus Off Canceled Performance