'The Odd Life of Timothy Green's' CJ Adams Returns to Acting for the Right Role (Video)
The 11-year-old actor stars as a magical boy who comes into the lives of a couple who thought they couldn't have children.
CJ Adams is just 11 years old, but he's already gotten his first movie job, left the business and returned several years later for a leading role in a Disney film.
Adams, who stars as the titular character in Disney’s The Odd Life of Timothy Green, tells The Hollywood Reporter that he wasn't even interested in the movie business at first -- until his brother talked him into it.
When he was 6 years old, Adams' older brother asked him if he wanted to be in movies, "No, I am OK," said Adams. Then, after his brother said that he could be on DVD, things changed. “Wow, I wanna be on DDD,” said the little boy without even knowing how to pronounce DVD correctly. “It was funny because I said DDD and I was like 5 to 6 years old,” said Adams.
Adams' first role was in Peter Hedges' 2007 film Dan in Real Life. However, the young actor decided to stop working in film after that role because it got to be "too much." Four years later, he heard about Hedges' new movie and decided to try out for the role, despite the fact that there was very stiff competition for the lead part.
"Once we heard it was like a thousand kids trying out, we were kind of worried, but then I got the part and I am in the movie business," he said.
The Odd Life of Timothy Green follows a couple who can’t have kids on their own, played by Jennifer Garner and Joel Edgerton. The duo, running low on hope, decide to write down the qualities they wanted their kid to have, put them in a box and bury it in the backyard. After a storm during the night, a kid (Adams) comes from the garden claiming he is their child.
Adams tells THR that he received valuable acting advice for his on-screen parents. "The advice they both gave me was become the character; Think as if CJ Adams is somewhere else like playing video games and Timothy is right there," he said.
The Odd Life of Timothy Green hits theaters on Wednesday, August 15.
Watch THR's full interview with Adams above to find out what part of the film was his favorite to shoot.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack