Brazil's 'The Voice' Keeps Ratings High for TV Globo
The new competition features singers Claudia Leitte, Carlinhos Brown, Lulu Santos and Daniel as coaches.
Brazil's The Voice (The Voice Brasil) is quickly becoming a new hit since its season premiere on Sept. 23.
The second episode of the music reality competition proved strong in ratings for TV Globo. Sunday's episode marked 16 points according to IBOPE, more than its premiere, which marked 15 points. The Voice was also in the Twitter's top trendings throughout the exhibition of the program.
The Voice, which follows the same structure as the U.S. version, features singers Claudia Leitte, Carlinhos Brown, Lulu Santos and Daniel as coaches. Each of them will have 12 contestants on their teams.
According to a rep for The Voice, the network chose to air the music competition in Brazil because of its unique format. "The director Boninho -- who is also the director of Big Brother Brasil and many other shows at the network -- is always looking for something new, the format of the program is different compared to other music competition's aired before in the country."
On their search for a new voice for the South American country, auditions took place in eight cities, including Sao Paulo, Rio de Janeiro, Belo Horizonte, Recife, Natal, Salvador, Porto Alegre and the capital, Brasilia.
On its premiere, a contestant from Long Island, New York, Alma Thomas -- who is married to a Brazilian and has lived there for about eight years -- impressed all of the judges with her performance of Adele's "Someone Like You."
Thomas ended up choosing to be in Daniel's team. "My biggest music's influence comes from American jazz and blues, but I'm like a rocker and I also like country. I feel the Brazilian's country music has influences from all these sides." she says adding, "This is an area I want to explore."
The winner of The Voice will get a contract signed by Universal Music, a car and approximately $250,000 (R$ 500.000).
The program still has two episodes of blind auditions before it starts the battle phase on Oct. 21.
TV Globo airs Brazil's The Voice every Sunday at 2:30 p.m.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Lupita Nyong'o Hugs Stylist Micaela Erlanger for THR's Top Stylists Issue, Kristen Stewart & More Featured!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!