'The Voice': Cee Lo Green Concerns Bird Activists With Cockatoo Plans
The singer is being urged not to replace his season two mascot -- a cat -- with an endangered bird species out of fear that stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.
Cee Lo Green's plan to judge the third season of NBC's The Voice accompanied by a cockatoo is drawing heat from an animal rights group concerned about the bird's welfare.
The singer recently announced that he would be replacing his season two mascot, a cat named Purrfect, with a Moluccan cockatoo named Lady for the upcoming third season.
But the move has some bird activists worried because that particular species of bird is not only endangered but is said to make a terrible pet, according to TMZ.
Monica Engrebretson, a rep for the animal rights organization Born Free, told TMZ that the stress from the show could cause the bird to self-mutilate.
"Moluccan cockatoos are beautiful, intelligent animals, but they are very challenging to care for especially in the long term, and are prone to considerable welfare problems," she said. "Many parrot rescues are already filled to capacity with moluccans and other large parrots."
Engrebretson said she is a fan of Green and is "glad that he appears to be an animal lover," but she is asking him to choose another animal as his on-air pal.
"I encourage The Voice to reconsider featuring a moluccan cockatoo or any bird as a 'pet' on the show and instead promote a more appropriate companion animal such as a dog," she said. "Even better, they could feature a rescue dog or a dog in need of a home."
Green has yet to comment.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'