Berlin 2012: 'This Ain't California' Wins Dialogue en Perspective Prize
The documentary looks at the underground skater culture in communist East Germany.
BERLIN – This Ain’t California, a documentary about the underground skater culture in communist East Germany from director Marten Persiel, has won the Dialogue en perspective prize at the 2012 Berlin Film Festival.
The doc, which combines found Super-8 footage with re-enacted scenes, recreates the world of skater rebels in the GDR. The Dialogue en perspective jury said it honored the film because “of its visual strength and the stylistic confidence of its editing. With gripping dynamics, it mixes personal history with the collective memory of the German Democratic Republic. We’ve rarely been so splendidly manipulated.”
The Dialogue en perspective prize, now in its seventh year, honors films screening at the Berlin film festival that, promote international dialogue, particularly a dialogue between young people in Germany and France.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR