'Thor' Earns $3.3 Million in Midnight Opening Friday
The summer’s first superhero pic is on track to open north of $60 million for the weekend.
Paramount and Marvel Studios’ summer tentpole Thor grossed a $3.3 million in Thursday midnight runs, giving the 3D pic a great shot at earning north of $60 million for the weekend, and even $70 million.
Thor played in approximately 1,800 locations. Today, the movie moves into a total of 3,955 theaters, including a major Imax assault.
Last weekend, Universal's Fast Five grossed $3.7 million in midnight runs on its way to grossing $86 million for the weekend. However, Fast Five had the advantage of being part of a franchise, while Thor is an unproven property on the bigscreen.
Directed by Kenneth Branagh, Thor stars Chris Hemsworth as the Mighty Thor. Natalie Portman, Stellan Skarsgard, Kat Dennings, Idris Elba and Rene Russo also star.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR