'Three Musketeers' taking on the world
Swashbuckler was 'jewel in the Cannes crown' for Summit
CANNES -- Summit Entertainment landed the coup de grace as Cannes' market wraps up, selling out its main presale titles including Paul W.S. Anderson's upcoming 3D actioner "The Three Musketeers."
E1 said en garde to "Musketeers" for the U.K., Alliance Films took Canadian rights, Aurum Producciones nabbed Spain and DCA secured Latin American rights in a raft of deals on the $80 million film, set to begin shooting late August in Studio Babelsberg in Germany. Summit will be releasing the film stateside. Constantin, which is producing "Musketeers" together with Anderson's Impact Pictures, have German rights.
"It was the jewel in the Cannes crown this year. It had all the elements we needed," David Garrett, president of Summit International told THR, saying Summit will close presales for "Musketeers" for all major territories worldwide by the end of the market.
The deal memos also piled up for Summit's other big preproduction titles: Juan Antonio Bayona's English-language debut, "The Impossible," starring Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, and the Kate Hudson-topped romantic comedy "Something Borrowed."
Nigel Green's Entertainment Film Distributors acquired "Borrowed" for the U.K. in one of several major territory deals on the Alcon Entertainment-produced title. Luke Greenfield is directing the picture -- the story of a young Manhattan attorney who gets involved with her best friend's fiance.
"Impossible," is based on a true story of events that took place in Thailand in 2004 after the tsunami hit the coast. Bayona wrote the screenplay together with his "The Orphanage" collaborator Sergio G. Sanchez. Warner Bros. has Spanish rights to the Summit-produced picture, which will be released through the company's international output deals including E1 in the U.K. and Canada, TMG in Germany, Nordisk in Scandinavia and IDC in Latin America.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)
- The CW's 'Star Crossed' Is The Classic WB Show You've Been Waiting For
- Love 'Cosmos?' Then NASA's 'Images Of A Space-Time Odyssey' Will Make Your Jaw Drop (PHOTOS)