THR's Chief Film Critic on Oscar's Biggest Mistakes
Todd McCarthy on why Spielberg deserved to lose, how the wrong doc won and the night's pervasive lack of class.
Since producers Craig Zadan and Neil Meron banned the evidently stuffy "85th Annual Academy Awards" phrasing from Sunday's broadcast, that's the only name I'm going to use for the poorly managed affair that passed for Hollywood's biggest night. If this is supposed to be the entertainment capital of the world, how is it that most of the presenters seemed as though they had read through their routines no more than once, that Melissa McCarthy achieved the impossible by failing to elicit a single laugh and that the gathered co-stars of The Avengers showed so little rapport they looked as though they'd never met before?
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR