Til Schweiger to Return to German TV for Hit Series ‘Tatort’
The “Inglourious Basterds” star started his career as a regular on German soaps and crime series.
COLOGNE, Germany – German super-star Til Schweiger (Inglourious Basterds) is reportedly set to return to the small screen, where he began his career 20 years ago, to star in hit German crime series Tatort (Scene of the Crime). Media reports say Schweiger will take over from Tatort actor Mehmet Kurtulus next year, playing a Hamburg police detective. Schweiger would star in two Tatort episodes per year, with shooting set to begin in early summer. Schweiger and Tatort producers ARD have so far declined comment.
The long-running Tatort series, still the most successful primetime drama on German TV, prides itself on being able to attract the country’s top acting talent. Recently, Sibel Kekilli, who plays Shea in HBO’s Game of Thrones, signed on for a recurring role in the series. Other local stars believed to be circling include Jurgen Vogel (The Wave) and Wotan Wilke Mohring (Men in the City).
But Schweiger would be a major coup for the show. Besides being Germany’s best-known actor, Schweiger is also the country’s most successful director. His most recent effort, the rom-com Kokowaah, earned more than $41 million at the local box office.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game