The 6 Pieces You Need to Pack for Summer Vacation
Tilda Swinton's "nostalgic resort wardrobe" by Dior in 'A Bigger Splash' is all the inspiration you need.
In the film A Bigger Splash, in theaters now, the one thing that’s more than making a splash is Tilda Swinton’s enviably chic style — the most perfect example of how to pack for a summer getaway. As Marianne Lane, a famous rock star on vacation in Sicily, the actress wears custom looks almost exclusively by Dior, courtesy of the fashion house’s former artistic director Raf Simons.
"I had worked with Raf on I Am Love, so it was a very organic collaboration," director Luca Guadagnino tells Pret-a-Reporter. Adds costume designer Giulia Piersanti: "We looked at old school resort wear — one of our references was Ingrid Bergman in Journey to Italy." The takeaway from the film is six essential pieces to build your own holiday wardrobe around.
1. A WOVEN HAT — WHETHER POOLSIDE, AT THE BEACH OR CRUISING ALONG THE COAST
Eugenia Kim ‘Cassidy’ straw sunhat; $395, net-a-porter.com. "We wanted Tilda’s wardrobe to be a bit more elegant than her surroundings, but for everything to be worn with a nonchalant lightness like an old movie star would," says Piersanti.
2. FLAT SANDALS THAT ARE COMFORTABLE FOR DAY BUT SEXY ENOUGH FOR EVENING Francesco Russo braided leather sandals; $990, mytheresa.com. "Her shoes in the film are a bespoke creation by Francesco Russo — a true artist," says Guadagnino of the Italian designer, a favorite of Victoria Beckham and Dakota Johnson, who also appears alongside Swinton, Matthias Schoenaerts and Ralph Fiennes in the film.
3. A SUPER-CHIC WHITE SUMMER DRESS TO WEAR 24-7
Sportmax 'Marruca' stretch-crepe dress; $1,390, matchesfashion.com. "We originally had a color palette, but decided that we didn’t want her to look controlled in her color scheme. We just wanted it to feel like clothes she’d bring in a suitcase," says Piersanti.
4. MIRRORED SUNGLASSES TO KEEP THE LOOK MODERN AND GLAMOROUS
Dior polished wire 'Sideral' shades; $465, Nordstrom.com. "The sunglasses were perfection for Marianne Lane’s rock persona," notes Guadagnino of Swinton’s flashy mirrored frames, which were a departure from the very classic, ladylike clothing. Why not black or tortoise frames? "She didn’t need to be conventionally chic and Luca used the reflection of the glasses to reflect her character’s perspective throughout the film," says Piersanti. "She has a David Bowie/Freddy Mercury stage persona with a bit of Chrissie Hynde."
5. A FLATTERING ONE-PIECE SWIMSUIT
Solid And Striped color-block 'Ballerina' swimsuit; $160, net-a-porter.com. "The swimsuit Tilda wore was created by Laura Urbinati," says Guadagnino. Charvet, Hermes and Fendi accessories are also in the mix.
6. A SHIRTDRESS THAT CAN BE WORN AS A BEACH COVER-UP OR PAIRED WITH STRAPPY SANDALS FOR DINNER
MDS Stripes cotton wrap dress; $595, modaoperandi.com. "Some of the fabrics and colors … linens, stripes and poplins were inspired by the Sicilian setting," says Piersanti of Swinton’s cool, effortless on-screen style.