Tim Burton to Create Float for Macy's Parade
The filmmaker’s balloon boy creation will spice up the yearly Thanksgiving event.
Tim Burton brought his dark-yet-somehow-adorable creations to the big screen in films like Edward Scissorhands and The Nightmare Before Christmas. He’s also an artist and a poet. On top of that, his work has been featured in retrospectives at some of the most renowned art museums in the country, including most recently at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.
But can the public ever get enough Burton? Apparently not – because this year a Burton creation will be floating high above the streets of New York on Thanksgiving.
Burton has designed a float for the annual Macy’s Thanksgiving parade.
The creation, called B. Boy, is a stitched together balloon boy who will take flight in the 85th Anniversary Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. It is the latest entry into the holiday parade's “Blue Sky Gallery” series, which invites artists to create flying wonders for the procession. Previous flying art balloons have included works by Tom Otterness, Jeff Koons, Keith Haring and Takashi Murakami.
"I've always had a fascination with balloons," stated Burton in a press release about the event. "B. Boy looks forward to his flight through Manhattan on Thanksgiving Day."
Of course, it wouldn’t be a Burton creation without a dark backstory. B. Boy was not born like any other child -- he was stitched together from rejects of old birthday party balloons left over from the many children's parties that took place on the upper floors of the hospital. With his pointed teeth and uneven stitches, B. was not allowed to play with the children at the hospital. With his spirit deflated, B. withdrew to his basement home and into the world of his favorite film, The Red Balloon. Watching it obsessively, B. hoped that one day he too would be able to fly above the city and bring joy to one small child.
On Thanksgiving Day, B. Boy’s dream will come true.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 10 Reimagined Disney Posters Bring Your Favorite Childhood Characters Back To Life
- DOCUMENTARY: How One Email Changed One Guy's Life... Forever
- Miley Cyrus Shows Off Her Sex Toy On Twitter, Should Seriously Be Taught What TMI Means
- Here's Everything Wrong With 'Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull'
- Diane Kruger Ties Up Her Shirt to Reveal Her Flat Stomach
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt Reenacts YouTube Viral Sensation 'David at the Dentist' - Watch Now!
- Find Out How Oprah Winfrey Got Fooled By Princess Diana!