Tim Tebow's Jets Release Draws Snark on Twitter
The wholesome quarterback exits the New York franchise, prompting tongue-in-cheek reactions from Hollywood and the media.
When you're a Jet, you're a Jet all the way. Except when you're Tim Tebow.
More than a year after getting traded to the New York Jets, the squeaky-clean and spiritual quarterback was officially released from the franchise on Monday, surprising absolutely no one yet spurring a torrent of breaking news tweets from ESPN and other sports-centric press.
Meanwhile, on the Hollywood front, The Office's Rainn Wilson chimed in, joking: "Tim Tebow's miracle is he can turn water into loose, wobbly spirals."
Comedian Adam Newman wrote, "Tim Tebow's NFL career might be over, but at least he still has his virginity," and Pat Kiernan, the dry-humored morning anchor at NY1, referenced the Jets' media-hyped (and ultimately failed) 2012 trade of Tebow, asking: "What was the point of that exercise?"
Steve Layman, a sports anchor at Nashville's News Channel 5, cracked: "Is it just me or does it seem like the Jets cut Tim Tebow a long time ago?" Meanwhile, ESPN's Ed Werder, forecasted doom and gloom for the young NFL star: "Jets release Tim Tebow at worst possible time for him to find next team _ everyone has signed veteran FA QBs, drafted them or signed after."
"Tim Tebow is a free agent; able to sign with anyone who wants him. That's like saying, 'Danny DeVito is single; get in line ladies,'" cracked comic Chuck Nice.
Tebow's short-lived Jets tenure resulted in a less-than-miraculous record of no touchdowns. Over the weekend, the team drafted quarterback Geno Smith to join the roster of Sanchez, Greg McElroy and David Garrard.
"We have a great deal of respect for Tim Tebow," coach Rex Ryan said in a statement. "Unfortunately, things did not work out the way we all had hoped. Tim is an extremely hard worker, evident by the shape he came back in this offseason. We wish him the best moving forward."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack