Time Inc. Slashes 500 Jobs, May Sell NYC Headquarters
In an employee memo Wednesday, CEO Laura Lang said: "These reductions are part of this important transformation process."
Time Inc., the publisher behind People, In Style and Sports Illustrated, has slashed some 500 jobs in a round of cutbacks and changes that could include the sale of its iconic building.
"With the significant and ongoing changes in our industry, we must continue to transform our company into one that is leaner, more nimble and more innately multi-platform," said CEO Laura Lang, in a memo to staffers on Wednesday (via Ad Age).
"To make this change, we need to operate as smartly and efficiently as possible to create room for critical investments and new initiatives. These reductions are part of this important transformation process," she said.
The company's staff has shrunk by the thousands over the past six years, totaling about 8,000 before Wednesday's layoffs kicked into motion, according to Ad Age.
Meanwhile, Reuters reports Time Inc's parent company Time Warner (which also owns CNN and HBO) is looking at possibly selling its iconic headquarters, the Time Warner Center, in New York City.
Lang stepped aboard Time Inc. two years ago, calling upon Bain & Co. consultants to run a comprehensive review of the publisher previously led by Ann Moore.
Time Inc., whose third-quarter revenue slipped 6.2 percent from the year before to total $2.5 billion, will release its fourth-quarter earnings on Feb. 6.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game
- George Lopez Returns With 'Saint George' And Talks Diversity On Television (VIDEO)
- Brittany Murphy & Dakota Fanning Were The Perfect Couple In 'Uptown Girls'
- Ian Somerhalder Sings Smokey Robinson Classic in 'Esquire China' Behind the Scene Video - Watch Now!
- 'Glee'Actor Harry Shum Jr. is Engaged to Girlfriend Shelby Rabara!
- Nicole Richie Proudly Rocks New Purple Hair at Lunch with Joel Madden!
- Zooey Deschanel's 'New Girl' & Mindy Kaling's 'Mindy Project' Get Early Renewals From Fox!