Time Warner Cable, Al Jazeera America Reach Carriage Deal
UPDATED: The second-largest U.S. cable operator will initially make the news network available in New York, L.A. and Dallas before a wider rollout.
Time Warner Cable said Thursday it has struck a deal to carry Qatar-controlled news network Al Jazeera America.
Financial terms weren't disclosed.
The second-largest U.S. cable operator will first offer Al Jazeera America in the big New York, L.A. and Dallas markets over the next six months and then roll it out beyond that.
Many U.S. distributors have been hesitant about carrying the channel. The summer, Al Jazeera sued AT&T for not carrying it.
Time Warner Cable said the carriage deal will also bring the network to Bright House Networks cable households, making it available to almost 55 million homes on the digital basic tier.
"We said in January that we would consider Al Jazeera America. Now that the channel is live, we think that it would be of value to our customers and are pleased to make it available," said Melinda Witmer, executive vp, chief video and content officer for TW Cable.
Ehab Al Shihabi, Al Jazeera America's interim CEO, said: "It has been a pleasure working with TWC over the past few months as their executives evaluated our programming and commitment to fact-based, in depth reporting. We appreciate the vote of confidence that Time Warner Cable and Bright House Networks have given to our brand of unbiased journalism and look forward to working with them as Al Jazeera America continues to grow."
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder & Kristen Bell Set to Present at Kids' Choice Awards 2014!
- Leslie Mann Supports PaleyFest Icon Award Honoree Judd Apatow!
- Cara Delevingne & Kate Moss Team Up for New Burberry Fragrance Campaign!