Tina Fey Blasts GOP, Richard Mourdock, Todd Akin on Rape Comments (Video)
The "30 Rock" creator had harsh words for anti-choice politicians, cracking, "What is happening? Am I a secretary on 'Mad Men?'"
Tina Fey doesn't need Saturday Night Live to take cracks at politicians.
The longtime "Weekend Update" anchor, who returned to SNL in 2008 to deliver a stinging impersonation of Sarah Palin, was a featured speaker at the Center for Reproductive Rights Inaugural Gala in New York City on Wednesday, and gave an impassioned speech on behalf of endangered feminist ideals.
Bemoaning the fact that she feels as if women's rights was no longer a subject that could be discussed in civil terms, Fey unloaded on political candidates such as Richard Mourdock, the GOP nominee for the open senate seat from Indiana, who on Tuesday night said that pregnancy from rape was "God's will."
"If I have to listen to one more grey-faced man with a $2 haircut explain to me what rape is,” she warned, “I’m going to lose my mind!”
Fey compared the whole political scene to the sexist world of Mad Men -- which is, of course, set in the 1960's.
She specifically had harsh words for Missouri Rep. Todd Akin, who has stayed in his race for senate even after receiving harsh condemnation for a gaffe that displayed a loose grip on science.
"Todd Akin claims that women can’t really get pregnant from a legitimate rape because the body secretes hormones -- you know what, I can’t even finish this sentence without getting dumber... Mr. Akin, I think you're confusing the term rape with competitive gymnastics."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10