Tina Fey Worried Second Pregnancy Would Make Her 'Unemployable'
12:09 PM PDT 4/7/2011 by THR staff
"Science shows that fertility and movie offers drop off steeply for women after 40," she says.
Tina Fey, who has announced that she is five months pregnant, wasn’t sure she wanted to have a second child.In her new memoir Bossypants, she recalls breaking down during a visit to her gynecologist. "I went for my annual checkup and, tired of carrying this anxiety around, burst into tears the moment she said hello," she writes, according to People.com. "I laid it all out for her, and the main thing I took away from our conversation was the kind of simple observation that only an impartial third party can provide: 'Either way, everything will be fine.'" Nevetheless, Fey, 40, recalled going to the bathroom and studying herself in the mirror often. "Do I look like someone who should be pregnant?" she recalls asking herself. "I look good for 40, but I have the quaggy jawline and hollow cheeks of a mom, not a pregnant lady. It's now or never. This decision can't be delayed." Fey - who has a 5-year-old daughter Alice with her husband, composer Jeff Richmond - had another concern: "Science shows that fertility and movie offers drop off steeply for women after 40," she writes. In the end, she says she concluded: "What's so great about work anyway? Work won't visit you when you're old. Work won't drive you to get a mammogram and take you out after for soup. "Hollywood be damned," she writes. "I'll just be unemployable and labeled crazy in five years anyway." No word on how the pregnancy will affect her NBC sitcom 30 Rock — which, despite claims by star Alec Baldwin, has no current plans to end next season.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!