Box Office Report: 'Titanic 3D' Opens to Strong $4.7 Mil Domestically
James Cameron's 3D makeover of the 1997 movie also is opening in virtually every foreign market.
James Cameron's 3D makeover of the Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet-led Titanic took in an impressive $4.7 million as it rolled out at the domestic box office Wednesday, including more than $300,000 in Tuesday night previews.
Depending upon how the gross is calculated, Titanic could technically be No. 1 on Wednesday ahead of box-office monster The Hunger Games, which is estimated to have grossed $4.6 million to $4.7 million on Wednesday. Official numbers will be released around noon.
The 3D release of Paramount and 20th Century Fox's 1997 blockbuster opened in roughly 2,600 theaters domestically, including 71 Imax runs. It also is opening in virtually every corner of the globe.
Paramount and Fox are partners on Titanic; Paramount is handling domestic duties, while Fox has international.
Bullish box-office observers believe Titanic could gross $25 million to $30 million for the Wednesday-Friday stretch, though Paramount is estimating $20 million to $25 million.
The original Titanic, which opened in December 1997, grossed $1.8 billion at the worldwide box office and was the top-grossing of all time for more than a decade, until Cameron's Avatar came along.
Cameron's 3D conversion of Titanic cost $18 million.
It's too early to say which film will win the Easter weekend contest; on Friday, Universal's American Reunion enters the fray.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sheila MacRae Dead: 'Honeymooners' Actress Dies At 92
- Russell Brand Says There's Only One Explanation For Philip Seymour Hoffman's Death (VIDEO)
- This Guy's Acapella Version Of Mike Tyson's 'Punch Out' Will Make You Nostalgic (VIDEO)
- Conan O'Brien Gives Body-Slam Filled Review Of The WWE 2K14 Video Game