'Titanic 3D' Breaks Box Office Record for Imax in China
The 20th Century Fox release raised $7 million on its opening weekend for the giant screen exhibitor, surpassing the previous high-water mark for "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
TORONTO - Imax Corp. on Wednesday said it took in $7 million in China on the opening weekend release of Titanic 3D.
That set a record first weekend box office record for Imax in the Asian market after 20th Century Fox’s release of James Cameron’s Oscar-winning film grossed $74 million since opening in China on April 10.
Imax rolled Titanic 3D out in 64 of its digital theaters across China, for a per-screen average of $109,375.
The record-setting opening results for Titanic 3D surpassed the previous high-water mark set by Transformers: Dark of the Moon.
Through Monday, Titanic 3D grossed around $210 million globally, of which around $15 million came from 408 Imax theaters worldwide.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR