Box Office Report: 'Titanic 3D' Launches to Record Numbers in China
The rerelease opens to $11.6 million on Tuesday, the second biggest opening day ever after the $15 million earned by "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
James Cameron's 3D rerelease of Titanic is making big waves in China.
The film opened on Tuesday to a stunning $11.6 million -- the second-biggest opening day ever in China's after the $15 million earned by Michael Bay's Transformers: Dark of the Moon in summer 2011. That film went on to earn $145.5 million in China to become the top-grossing film of all time there.
Imax theaters turned in big numbers for 20th Century Fox, which is handling international duties (Paramount has domestic). The 64 Imax locations playing Titanic 3D took in $1 million, tied with the giant-screen exhibitor's first-day take for Dark of the Moon.
All told, Titanic 3D is playing 2,400 3D screens in China.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Power of Pitbull: 'Timber' Rapper Reveals Plan to Become Next Billion-Dollar Brand
- New Photos From Kurt Cobain Suicide Released by Seattle Police
- Judd Apatow Reveals His Penis Rule and Talks About 'Girls' Sex Scenes Banned by HBO
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- The Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Stylists, Revealed