Box Office Report: 'Titanic 3D' Launches to Record Numbers in China
The rerelease opens to $11.6 million on Tuesday, the second biggest opening day ever after the $15 million earned by "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
James Cameron's 3D rerelease of Titanic is making big waves in China.
The film opened on Tuesday to a stunning $11.6 million -- the second-biggest opening day ever in China's after the $15 million earned by Michael Bay's Transformers: Dark of the Moon in summer 2011. That film went on to earn $145.5 million in China to become the top-grossing film of all time there.
Imax theaters turned in big numbers for 20th Century Fox, which is handling international duties (Paramount has domestic). The 64 Imax locations playing Titanic 3D took in $1 million, tied with the giant-screen exhibitor's first-day take for Dark of the Moon.
All told, Titanic 3D is playing 2,400 3D screens in China.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- "Spike In My Veins": Talking with Korn's Jonathan Davis, A Chat with Skaters' Michael Ian Cummings and a Break of Reality Exclusive
- The MovieFilm Podcast: Remembering Ghostbusters, Plus Aaron Paul on Need For Speed
- 'Looking' Season 1 Is Refreshing Despite Some Characterization Flaws
- 5 Perfect Quotes From HBO's 'Girls' Season 3, Episode 10