Box Office Report: 'Titanic 3D' Launches to Record Numbers in China
The rerelease opens to $11.6 million on Tuesday, the second biggest opening day ever after the $15 million earned by "Transformers: Dark of the Moon."
James Cameron's 3D rerelease of Titanic is making big waves in China.
The film opened on Tuesday to a stunning $11.6 million -- the second-biggest opening day ever in China's after the $15 million earned by Michael Bay's Transformers: Dark of the Moon in summer 2011. That film went on to earn $145.5 million in China to become the top-grossing film of all time there.
Imax theaters turned in big numbers for 20th Century Fox, which is handling international duties (Paramount has domestic). The 64 Imax locations playing Titanic 3D took in $1 million, tied with the giant-screen exhibitor's first-day take for Dark of the Moon.
All told, Titanic 3D is playing 2,400 3D screens in China.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Apple Should Have Read The Lyrics Before Putting This Song In An Ad
- 'Noah' Director Darren Aronofsky And Others Talk Faith And Environmentalism (LIVE VIDEO)
- 'The Quiet Ones' Review: Retro Horror Film Is Weighed Down By A Silly Script
- Wrigley Field's Celebrity Singers Ranked From Most Cringe-Worthy To Least