Box Office Report: 'Titanic 3D' Jumps $200 Mil in Only 12 Days
China -- where the film opened to a record-breaking $67 million -- is fueling the 3D rerelease of James Cameron's 1997 classic.
James Cameron's 3D rerelease of Titanic has turned into a box-office monster, grossing $201.8 million worldwide in its first dozen days and pushing the movie's lifetime gross past $2 billion.
At this pace, the rerelease ultimately could gross $70 million domestically and well north of $250 million internationally for a cume in the mid-$300 million range.
The eye-popping numbers for the reissue from Paramount and 20th Century Fox are being fueled in large part by China, where Titanic 3D debuted to $67 million, the largest opening in history. Transformers: Dark of the Moon had held the record with $56 million in summer 2011.
Official numbers released Monday were even stronger than Sunday's estimates, which had showed Titanic 3D opening to $58 million in China -- still the best debut of all time.
Thanks to the China number, Titanic 3D grossed $98.9 million over the weekend at the international box office for a foreign total of $157.1 million.
Imax runs contributed $5.8 million of Titanic's global weekend gross, including north of $3 million in China alone. Imax's 12-day cume is $13.6 million, well ahead of expectations.
In North America, Titanic 3D came in No. 4 for the weekend, falling 32.7 percent to an estimated $11.6 million for a cume of $44.7 million.
Titanic 3D's global cume of $201.8 million eclipses the worldwide cume of Disney's 3D release of The Lion King last year. Lion King 3D was a surprise box-office hit, grossing $94.2 million domestically and $84 million worldwide for a total $178.2 million.
The 3D conversion of Titanic cost $18 million and was personally supervised by Cameron.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)