Todd McCarthy's Cannes First Weekend Wrap Up (Cannes)
Women directors are front and center, but helmers of both genders can be blamed for lackluster state of affairs, writes THR's chief film critic.
CANNES -- Even as the competition began showing signs of life as the Cannes Film Festival moved through its first weekend and fourth full day, the 64th edition of the planet’s most famous cinematic gathering spot has been most notable as a breakthough year for female filmmakers. Thus far, no fewer than 12 of the significant features to have debuted in various categories were signed by women, something surely unprecedented in the history of this still-reigning grand dame of international festivals.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR