Tom Fontana's 'Borgia' sells to Sky Italia
European production to compete with Showtime's 'The Borgias.'
COLOGNE, Germany -- Sky Italia has picked up rights to Borgia, the high-end historic series from Tom Fontana starring The Wire's John Doman as Rodrigo Borgia, alias bad Pope Alexander VI.
The Italian pay player is the first major European broadcaster - aside from commissioning channels Canal +, ZDF and ORF - to bet on Borgia, which is going head-to-head with Showtime's similarly-themed The Borgias starring Jeremy Irons.
Fontana's Borgia project is still searching for a U.S. network.
Beta Film, which is selling the Borgia series worldwide, earlier inked a deal with HBO Latin America for the show.
Borgia is currently shooting in Prague. The series is set to air in Europe this fall.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)