Tom Fontana's 'Borgia' sells to Sky Italia
European production to compete with Showtime's 'The Borgias.'
COLOGNE, Germany -- Sky Italia has picked up rights to Borgia, the high-end historic series from Tom Fontana starring The Wire's John Doman as Rodrigo Borgia, alias bad Pope Alexander VI.
The Italian pay player is the first major European broadcaster - aside from commissioning channels Canal +, ZDF and ORF - to bet on Borgia, which is going head-to-head with Showtime's similarly-themed The Borgias starring Jeremy Irons.
Fontana's Borgia project is still searching for a U.S. network.
Beta Film, which is selling the Borgia series worldwide, earlier inked a deal with HBO Latin America for the show.
Borgia is currently shooting in Prague. The series is set to air in Europe this fall.
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ultimate Warrior Autopsy Finds Wrestler Died Of Cardiovascular Disease
- The Final Trailer For 'X-Men: Days Of Future Past Is A Traveler Of Both Time & Space
- A Conversation with The Both's Aimee Mann & Ted Leo, Plus A Quick Chat with Dolly Parton
- 'True Detective' Meets 'The Family Circus' Is Pure Evil Genius
- Brant Daugherty & Ian Harding Support a Good Cause at the Road To Hope Charity Benefit!
- Leonardo DiCaprio Wrestles a Friend at Coachella & Loses Badly (Video)
- Lily Aldridge's Toned Tummy is Why You Should Hit the Gym Now!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Change Outfits for Australia Arrival with Prince George!