Tom Jones Slams Execs for Dropping Him From BBC's 'The Voice UK'
The singer says he found out last-minute that he wouldn't return as a coach, criticizing "sub-standard behavior from the executives."
Music legend Tom Jones has criticized executives behind the BBC's The Voice UK after not bringing him back as a coach for the fifth season of the singing competition.
In Facebook and Twitter posts at the end of last week, he said he was told about the decision only a day before the BBC announced Boy George and Paloma Faith as new coaches for the new season that will air in 2016.
"About The Voice UK: In good faith, as part of the team, I’d put the time in my schedule to be involved in Series 5, as I’ve done so for the last 4 years," Jones said in a Facebook post. "I’ve supported the show and the BBC since the beginning. I was told yesterday, with no consultation or conversation of any kind, that I would not be returning."
He added: "Having been through plenty of transformations throughout the years, I support and admire creative change. But being informed, as a matter of duty and respect, is an important part of creative relationships. This sub-standard behavior from the executives is very disappointing."
Concluded Jones: "I will always admire the courage of the performers who participate in the show, as well as all the production staff who worked tirelessly to make a great family viewing experience for the audience at home. I wish the show well."
On Twitter, the singer wrote: "Shocked and disappointed about The Voice UK. I was TOLD yesterday. No idea, no conversation, no warning. To the fans, thank you for your support over the last four years."
The BBC said Jones was never promised to keep his role as a coach and the decision on next season's lineup of coaches came only on Thursday, and Jones' team was informed before a press announcement to avoid a press leak.