Tommy Boy Founder Tom Silverman to Be Honored at Libera Awards
The American Association of Independent Music will recognize the industry veteran with a Lifetime Achievement award at its June 20 event.
The American Association of Independent Music has announced that Tom Silverman, founder of TommY BoY Records, the New Music Seminar and founding board member of A2IM, will receive the Lifetime Achievement statue at A2IM's upcoming Libera Awards ceremony June 20 in New York. Silverman will be the second person to receive the award, following Martin Mills in 2012.
Silverman was responsible for signing De La Soul, Digital Underground, Naughty By Nature, House of Pain and Queen Latifah, bolstering the popularity of mid-period hip-hop. Earlier this year, Silverman penned a forward-thinking op-ed for Billboard.biz outlining his strategy for growing the industry through means other than music sales.
The Libera Awards, or LIBBYs, were founded to recognize the past year's successes throughout the independent record label community with awards such as the two-pronged Independent Label of the Year (both five employees or less and six employees or more), the Light Bulb award for innovative marketing and the 21st Century Award for platform or service most beneficial to the indie community.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Ian Somerhalder Is Definitely the Hottest Paper Boy at LAX Airport!
- Katie Couric Flexes Her Muscles & She's Buffer Than You'd Imagine!
- Ariana Grande to Debut New Single 'Problem' at Radio Disney Music Awards! (Exclusive)
- Jason Derulo Rips Off His Shirt After Jordin Sparks Joins Him for Passionate Duet 'Vertigo'! (Video)