Tommy Chong on His Prostate Cancer: 'Cannabis Is a Cure'
A longtime proponent of medicinal marijuana, the 74-year-old comic says he is using hemp oil to treat stage 1 cancer.
Tommy Chong is battling prostate cancer the best way he knows how: with hemp oil.
“Cannabis is a cure,” he told CNN in announcing his illness.
The veteran comic, 74, said he was diagnosed last month but first noticed symptoms during his 2003-04 incarceration in California for selling pot paraphernalia. He described the cancer as a slow stage 1.
A longtime supporter of medicinal marijuana, Chong was giving an interview about the health benefits of pot when he revealed his illness. “I’ve got prostate cancer, and I’m treating it with hemp oil, with cannabis,” he told CNN’s Don Lemon. “So [legalizing marijuana] means a lot more to me than just being able to smoke a joint without being arrested.”
Chong told the cable news network he quit smoking marijuana last year “for health reasons” but is using hemp oil to treat the disease. “[I take it] at night, so I won’t be woozy all day,” he said. “I’m taking it as a medicine.”
A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Chong rose to fame during the early 1970s with partner Richard “Cheech” Marin as the stoner-comedy duo Cheech and Chong. They released eight albums from 1971-85, three of which hit the top 10, and won a best comedy recording Grammy for 1973’s Los Cochinos. The pair also co-wrote and starred in eight films, starting with the 1978 stoner classic Up in Smoke.
Cheech and Chong also toured as a comedy act but broke up during the mid-’80s after years of squabbling. They reunited in 2008 for the Cheech and Chong Light Up America stand-up tour, which resulted in the 2010 documentary Hey Watch This.
During a news conference at the Troubadour in West Hollywood -- where the duo was discovered in 1970 by producer Lou Adler – to announce the reunion tour, Chong took time to praise the medicinal benefits of marijuana. Then he jokingly credited pot for “all of my youthfulness, my … uh …” -- “Memory,” Marin chimed in with a grin.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera
- DJ Cassidy Shares Details On New Album, 'Paradise Royale,' And The Resurgence Of Disco
- 7-Year-Old Stuns Viewers When She Sings 'Gloomy Sunday' By Billie Holiday (VIDEO)