Tony Bennett Apologizes for Controversial 9/11 Comments
The singer clarified his prior statement on the Howard Stern Show that “we caused” the terrorist attacks.
Tony Bennett is changing his tune from the surprising remarks he made on Howard Stern’s Sirius XM radio show on Monday.
The singer, who is currently promoting his new album, Duets II, spoke to Stern about his disagreement with the U.S.-Iraq war, calling it “a tremendous, tremendous mistake.”
When Stern asked how Bennett, who is a World War II vet (who described himself as “anti-war”), would want the U.S. to deal with terrorists, namely those that attacked the country on 9/11. “They flew the plane in, but we caused it,” he continued. “Because we were bombing them and they told us to stop.”
After Bennett’s comments were met with anger and surprise from many, he made a short statement on his Facebook, clarifying what he meant to say.
“I am sorry if my statements suggested anything other than an expression of my love for my country, my hope for humanity and my desire for peace throughout the world,” he wrote.
“There is simply no excuse for terrorism and the murder of the nearly 3,000 innocent victims of the 9/11 attacks on our country,” he wrote.
Bennett’s Duets II come out on Sept. 20. The album features the last compete recording by Amy Winehouse prior to her death, as well as collaborations with Lady Gaga, John Mayer, Aretha Franklin and Josh Groban.
- John Oliver on the Luxurious 'Freedom' of HBO, His Complicated Relationship With NYC
- The Hollywood Reporter's 35 Most Powerful People in New York Media 2014
- Cannes Preview: The Hot Movies in the Running to Hit the Croisette
- CBS' $67 Million Man: Does Leslie Moonves' Moolah Make Sense?
- Glenn Beck Moves Into Movie Production (Exclusive)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Sofia Vergara Flaunts Amazing Bikini Body & Rock Hard Abs for 'Women's Health'! (Exclusive Pic)
- January Jones & Christina Hendricks: Ladies of 'Mad Men' Help Launch Jimmy Choo's CHOO.08
- Jenny McCarthy & Donnie Wahlberg Engaged, Announce News on 'The View' - See Her Engagement Ring Here!
- Tori Spelling Speaks for First Time About Unfaithful Husband Dean McDermott