Tony Bennett on 'The Daily Show': Amy Winehouse Knew 'She Wasn't Going to Live' (Video)
The legendary crooner’s recent album, "Duets II," features Winehouse’s final song recording.
Tony Bennett, who has been doing a publicity tour for his latest album release, Duets II, stopped by The Daily Show on Thursday. Jon Stewart asked the legendary singer about his work with the late Amy Winehouse. He recorded a song with her for Duets II, not long before her death in July.
“Do you get a sense that there's trouble there?” asked Stewart of his time working with Winehouse.
Bennett mentioned that Winehouse missed a couple of engagements, and was struggling.
“She knew that she was in a lot of trouble, that she wasn't going to live," said Bennett. “It wasn't drugs, it was alcohol, toward the end,” said Bennett, who recorded the song “Body and Soul” with her in the U.K. It was the last record that Winehouse made before her death at the age of 27.
“She was really, since Elvis Presley and the Beatles and the Rolling Stones … she was the only singer that really sang what I call the right way.” Comparing her to Dinah Washington, Bennett said, “She was really a great jazz singer, a true jazz singer.”
Duets II has already become a record-achieving album for Bennett. It hit the No. 1 spot on the Billboard 200, making the 85-year-old the oldest living act to reach No. 1.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR