Tony Walton to Be Honored by Art Directors
Veteran will receive Lifetime Achievement Award at guild’s Feb. 4 awards ceremony.
Tony Walton, an Oscar and Emmy nominee who has contributed to such classics as Mary Poppins, The Wiz and Murder on the Orient Express, will receive a Lifetime Achievement Award at the 16th annual Art Directors Guild Awards, it was announced Tuesday.
The art director and set designer, who began his career in 1957, will be honored Feb. 4 at the Beverly Hilton during the guild’s annual awards ceremony. Comedian Paula Poundstone is set to return for a third straight year to host the show, which is themed to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the guild.
In addition to Mary Poppins (1964) and The Wiz (1979), which the Oscars recognized with a nomination for costume design and art direction — Walton has worked on such films as A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum (1966), Petulia (1968), Equus (1977), Deathtrap (1982) and Regarding Henry (1991).
For TV’s Murder on the Orient Express (1975), Walton earned Emmy and BAFTA nominations for costume and set design.
“He brings a sense of whimsy and joy to everything he undertakes,” ADG president Thomas Walsh said. “Tony Walton is the consummate designer who has extended the boundaries for all things possible for those engaged in the profession of narrative design for the moving image.”
Nominations for the ADG Awards will be announced Jan. 4.
- 'Lindsay' Recap: Lohan Attempts Career Comeback With Self-Proclaimed 'New Chapter'
- 'How I Met Your Mother': Cristin Milioti Debunks Morbid Finale Theory (Video)'
- Josh Duhamel to Co-Star in Vince Gilligan's 'Battle Creek'
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Audrey Evans and Alonza Bevan of Tumblewild Discuss Their Evocative New Album, When the World Had Four Corners
- Joe McGinniss Dead: 'Fatal Vision' Author Dies At 71
- Shakira Reveals Why Music Videos With Men Are 'Out Of the Question'
- Even Juan Pablo Thinks This Season Of 'The Bachelor' Has Been A Soap Opera