Top 10 'Idol' Earners
The show has produced some breakout stars that have built on their "Idol" success.
1. Carrie Underwood
Season 4 Winner
- Album Sales: 12,296,000
- Digital Track Sales: 18,482,000
- Concert Revenue: $66,762,207
Simon Cowell's prediction came true this year as Underwood surpassed Kelly Clarkson to become Idol's biggest seller. Credit three multiplatinum albums and a 115-plus-date tour. Raising Underwood's profile outside the country world: movie roles (Soul Surfer) and sitcom guest spots (How I Met Your Mother).
2. Kelly Clarkson
Season 1 Winner
- Album Sales: 10,674,000
- Digital Track Sales: 17,254,000
- Concert Revenue: $32,681,389
The singer who started it all, Clarkson's 18 singles, many of them hits, set the Idol bar high.
3. Chris Daughtry
Season 5, 4th Place
- Album Sales: 6,104,000
- Digital Track Sales: 11,127,000
- Concert Revenue: $19,159,287
He turned out to be a winner at rock radio with a string of chart-toppers -- three to be exact.
4. Clay Aiken
Season 2 Runner Up
- Album Sales: 4,990,000
- Digital Track Sales: 581,000
- Concert Revenue: $17,754,872
His debut was a hit, and while Aiken has kept a low profile of late, public outings like his recent co-headlining trek with Ruben Studdard proved successful.
Season 3 Winner
- Album Sales: 2,809,000
- Digital Track Sales: 1,325,000
- Concert Revenue: $466,631
After a 2008 stint on Broadway in The Color Purple, she launched a reality show, Fantasia for Real, which became VH1's No. 1 rated series.
6. Ruben Studdard
Season 2 Winner
- Album Sales: 2,556,000
- Digital Track Sales: 445,000
- Concert Revenue: $806,398
Four albums, a Grammy nom and a co-headlining tour with Aiken has kept Studdard on the radar.
7. Jordin Sparks
Season 6 Winner
- Digital Track Sales: 9,547,000
- Album Sales: 1,275,000
- Concert Revenue: $1,141,629
Her massive presence on pop radio translates to 9 tracks sold for every album.
8. Jennifer Hudson
Season 3, 7th place
- Album Sales: 1,160,000
- Digital Track Sales: 1,964,000
- Concert Revenue: $1,055,971
After winning an Oscar and Grammy, she lost over 80 pounds and became the spokeswoman
for Weight Watchers in 2010.
9. David Cook
Season 7 Winner
- Digital Track Sales: 4,196,000
- Album Sales: 1,324,000
- Concert Revenue: $1,012,335
Soon to follow his platinum-selling debut with June 28's This Loud Morning, Cook also tours regularly and scored a deal with Skechers.
10. Kellie Pickler
Season 5, 6th place
- Digital Track Sales: 3,319,000
- Album Sales: 1,322,000
Pickler made big waves on the country scene with her 2006 debut album, Small Town Girl. Tours with Brad Paisley (2007) and Taylor Swift (2009) followed.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR