The Top 50 Showrunners
Lauren Iungerich, creator of "Awkward" (MTV), recalls the day she learned her show was picked up for series. "I could not longer be just an 'artist' anymore."
When I got word that Awkward was being picked up to series, my first reaction was to cry. Throughout my career, everyone has always said, "There is no crying in show business." It's a sign of weakness. If you have to cry, do it in private. In your car. In the shower. Anywhere but out in the open. Yet I cry. All. The. Time. Sometimes I cry just talking about crying. I'm not even kidding. And I would contend that my lack of "fear to tear" is my greatest strength -- not a weakness. As I look back at my trail of tears, I've come to appreciate that the tears I've shed have become the touchstones -- or watermarks, if you will -- of my journey as a newbie showrunner.
Subscribe now to read the full article
- Read The Hollywood Reporter on any mobile device
- Email complete articles to clients or colleagues
- Interactive Radio: listen to the topics or headlines that interest you
- RSS Feed: read in a timely manner with easy to find content
- Read Offline: locate issues and articles easily at any time, no internet connection needed
Already a Subscriber? Log In
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR