Local Versions of 'Top Chef' to Air in Portugal, Romania
NBCUniversal Formats has struck format deals with Portuguese broadcaster RTP and Antena1, the latter of which marks the format’s first commission in Eastern Europe.
LONDON - Top Chef is coming to Portugal and Romania under TV format deals for the cooking reality hit show.
NBCUniversal Formats said Thursday that the format has been picked up by public broadcaster RTP in Portugal and broadcaster Antena1 in Romania. The latter marks the format’s first commission in Eastern Europe.
In Portugal, the series has already started and will comprise 13 episodes that are 75 minutes long. It is produced by CBV. The show is hosted by Portuguese celebrity Silvia Alberto, known for her work on the local versions of Idols and Dancing With the Stars.
In Romania, the country’s largest broadcaster ordered 12 episodes of Top Chef that are each 90 minutes long. The show will kick off in the fall.
Other foreign adaptations of Top Chef include shows in France (on M6), Middle East (LBC), Canada (Food Network), Finland (Sub) and Greece (ANT1). The format is also currently under option in Spain and Italy.
In the U.S., NBCUniversal's Bravo has already confirmed seasons 11 and 12 of the hit show.
"Top Chef is an amazing show with universal appeal," said Yvonne Pilkington, senior vp of formats and production at NBCUniversal International. "Audiences around the world can enjoy the excitement of competition reality combined with the incredible talent of their local chefs. As one of our best-performing formats, Top Chef is a great example of how a format can work across multiple territories, because at its heart the series not only features local characters with incredible talent, but also takes audiences on the Top Chef journey."
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack