Ex-'Top Gear' Host Jeremy Clarkson Won't Face Police Charges
The BBC dropped the controversial presenter after he punched a producer.
Jeremy Clarkson's post-Top Gear career has been given a significant boost.
In an announcement on Tuesday, April 7, U.K. police said that the ousted host of the hit motoring show wouldn’t face further investigation over the “fracas” that led to him being dropped by the BBC. "We will not be pursing this matter any further," a police spokesperson said. "Now that all the interviews are complete, we have properly established that there is no need for further police action."
The news comes just over a week after Oisin Tymon, the Top Gear producer whom Clarkson punched in what the BBC as a "physical attack that lasted around 30 seconds," said he wouldn’t press charges.
The next step for Clarkson – a hugely divisive figure in the British media, yet an unquestionable ratings draw – is still unknown. But with the threat of prosecution now removed, networks that had previously expressed interest in the star presenter, including ITV and Sky, are likely to step up negotiations. The decision by the police could also help Clarkson's career prospects in the U.S., which a criminal conviction would have jeopardized.