'Top of the Lake' Director in Early Talks for Johnny Depp-Produced 'Shantaram'
Joel Edgerton is attached to star in the adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts book.
Garth Davis is in early talks to direct Shantaram, Warner Bros.' Johnny Depp-produced adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts book.
Joel Edgerton is attached to star in the tale, which centers on an Australian heroin addict convicted of robbery escapes from a maximum-security prison who flees to India and reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of Bombay. He then gets involved in counterfeiting, smuggling and gunrunning, which leads him to Afghanistan, where he and a mob boss battle Russians.
Eric Roth wrote the most recent draft of the script.
Depp is producing with his partner, Christi Dembrowski. Also in the pool of producers is Graham King. Sarah Schechter is overseeing.
Davis was nominated for an Emmy this year for his work directing half of Jane Campion’s Sundance Channel miniseries Top of the Lake.
He is repped by UTA.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR