Toronto 2012: Amy Berg's 'Every Secret Thing' Snags Financing, Elizabeth Banks
Berg most recently directed "West Memphis 3," which is premiering at the Toronto Film Festival.
TORONTO - Elizabeth Banks has joined Amy Berg's Every Secret Thing, starring opposite Diane Lane in the big-screen adaptation of Laura Lippman's book.
The crime drama also has found financing; Merced Media Partners, Palmstar Media Capital and Hyde Park Entertainment are teaming to back the film. Berg, who is at the Toronto Film Festival for the premiere of West Memphis 3, will begin shooting in February 2013 from a script by Nicole Holofcener.
Every Secret Thing revolves around Ronnie and Alice, who at the age of 11 were convicted of the murder of a baby and were incarcerated until they turned 18. Now released and replete with psychological problems, each attempts to adjust to life outside juvenile detention when children start to go missing. As the police turn their attention to Ronnie and Alice, the mystery surrounding the original murder and their roles in it takes the fore.
Likely Story's Anthony Bregman and Frances McDormand are producing. Executive producers are Merced's Raj Singh, Palmstar's Kevin Frakes, Hyde Park's Ashok Amritraj, Stuart Brown and Stefanie Azpiazu.
"Great, female-driven crime movies are few and far between - and one this original and surprising is like a gift. It's gratifying that so many talented and enthusiastic collaborators agree - from the creative to the financial sides and everywhere in between," Bregman said.
Hyde Park is handling international sales and is shopping the project to foreign buyers in Toronto this week. Craig Emanuel of Loeb & Loeb and Alexis Garcia from WME negotiated the deal on behalf of the filmmakers.
Berg's movie was announced this summer, along with Lane's casting. Lane and Banks will lead the cast, the rest of which has yet to be announced.
Lane recently wrapped production on Warner Bros.' Superman film Man of Steel, while Banks will be seen in The Hunger Games: Catching Fire and Pitch Perfect.
“This is a terrific story that has captured the attention of readers worldwide,” said Hyde Park’s Amritraj. “We are excited to work with Anthony, Amy, Diane. Elizabeth, Frances and our partners at Merced/Palmstar.”
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- 'Captain America' Conquers Box Office For Third Straight Week
- Jordin Sparks' Wears A Bikini To The Opening Of Tao Beach, Jason Derulo Joins Her In Gym Clothes
- Watch Bruce Springsteen Cover Van Morrison's 'Brown Eyed Girl'
- Patrick Stewart And Ian McKellen Play The Newlywed Game, Continue Being The Internet's Most Adorable Sirs
- Justin Bartha & Lia Smith Reportedly Welcome Baby Girl!
- Idina Menzel Sings 'Take Me or Leave Me' with Two Lucky Fans for Charity - Watch Now!
- Vanessa Hudgens Sees Hearts While Dancing at Coachella!
- 'Captain America: The Winter Soldier' Tops Easter Weekend Box Office While Johnny Depp's 'Transcendence' Fails to Impress