Toronto 2012: Cohen Media Snaps Up U.S. Rights to Finance Thriller 'Capital'
The film, from director Costa-Gavras, stars Gabriel Byrne and Gad Elmaleh.
The Cohen Media Group has taken U.S. distribution rights to Capital, the politically tinged suspense thriller from Oscar-winning director Costa-Gavras, from French sales outfit Elle Driver.
The deal was negotiated by Cohen Media Chairman-CEO Charles S. Cohen, and Elle Driver co-director Adeline Fontan ahead of the Toronto Film Festival.
The thriller, set in the world of international finance, stars Gabriel Byrne (Spider) and Gad Elmaleh (Midnight In Paris).
It is based on the 2004 best-selling novel Le Capital from French writer Stephane Osmont. Costa-Gavras co-wrote the script with screenwriter Jean Claude Grunberg.
Capital is Costa-Gavras' 18th film and, like his best-know work including Missing, Z or State of Siege, it is billed as a combining a taunt thriller plot with a scathing critique of modern-day capitalism. Capital is the lastest in a series of indie dramas set in the world of high finance, coming after JC Chandor's Oscar-nominated Margin Call (2011) with Kevin Spacey and Sundance feature Arbitrage starring Richard Gere and Susan Sarandon.
Cohen, an executive producer on two-time Academy Award nominiee Frozen River (2008), set up Cohen Media Group in 2008 as a production entity, expanding into theatrical distribution in 2010.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Catherine Deneuve Kicks Off Rendez-vous With French Cinema
- Fresh Off His Oscar Win, 'Gravity' Director Alfonso Cuaron Turns To TV With 'Believe'
- 'The Dog' Filmmakers On Finding The Real-Life 'Dog Day Afternoon' Guy
- 'MasterChef' Judge Graham Elliot Shows Off Impressive 150-Pound Weight Loss On Instagram