Toronto 2012: Magnolia Lands Documentary 'No Place on Earth'
The film marks the directorial debut of Janet Tobias, a former producer for "60 Minutes," "Dateline NBC" and "Nightline."
TORONTO -- Magnolia Pictures has acquired U.S. film rights to acclaimed documentary No Place on Earth, about an extended Jewish family who hid in caves to evade the Nazis, and is planning a 2013 theatrical release.
The feature doc marks the directorial debut of Janet Tobias, a former producer for 60 Minutes, Dateline NBC and Nightline.
Magnolia, a division of the Wagner/Cuban company, struck the deal with History Films, which has U.S. television rights to the doc, less than 48 hours after the documentary premiered at the Toronto Film Festival to a lengthy standing ovation.
No Place on Earth brings to light the untold story of 38 Ukrainian Jews who survived World War II by living in caves for 18 months, the longest-recorded sustained underground survival. Tobias interviewed many of the former cave inhabitants, as well as Chris Nicola, the caving enthusiast who unearthed the story.
"Janet Tobias has powerfully brought to life a stunning chapter of history that will resonate with audiences of all kinds," Magnolia president Eamonn Bowles said.
- Danny Boyle in Talks to Direct Steve Jobs Movie, Leonardo DiCaprio Eyed to Star
- Bryan Singer Accuser Names Three Hollywood Insiders in New Sex Abuse Lawsuits (Video)
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- A-Sides with Jon Chattman: Alexz Johnson Living "American Dream;" Pace & Revi and a Bicoastal "Hurricane"
- 'Game Of Thrones' Co-Star Reveals Lena Headey Had 'Mixed Feelings' About That Controversial Rape Scene
- Givin' 'Em Hell and Heaven: Conversations With Joe Satriani and Sebastian Bach
- Angel Haze Slams Homophobia In Hip-Hop, Discusses Sexuality
- Shantel VanSanten Leaves the 'Gang' Behind for Night of Music!
- Neil Patrick Harris Gets Support From Partner David Burtka at Opening Night of 'Hedwig and the Angry Inch'!
- 'Frozen' Soundtrack Nabs Its Biggest Sales Week, Stays at Number 1 for 11th Week
- Reese Witherspoon is All About Peeps in Her Easter Baskets!