Toronto 2012: Download THR's Day 3 'Daily'
In Day 3 of the Toronto Festival Dailies, Hollywood agents descend on TIFF in search of unsigned talent, the Venice Film Fest jury president Michael Mann explains why "The Master" didn't win the Golden Lion and the Weinstein Co. makes a big push for Derek Cianfrance's "The Place Beyond the Pines."
The Hunt Is on for Unsigned Talent
Festivals like Toronto, Sundance and Cannes are becoming increasingly fertile venues for agencies looking to sign the next Daniel Espinosa or Anton Corbijn. An agency like WME or CAA sends some 15 agents to the festival with the express purpose of landing hot unattached talent.
Venice Jury President Michael Mann Explains 'The Master' Voting Decisions
In a phone interview from Venice, where the American filmmaker and an 8-person jury announced their picks Saturday, Mann said they worked within the system to figure out how to best reward Paul Thomas Anderson’s The Master and Korean director Kim Ki-duk's Pieta, which took the top Golden Lion award.
"The rules are very specific,” Mann said. “A film may only win one award. The exception is actors. A film could win for actor and one of the other awards, but a film can’t win for actor and Golden Lion."
Weinstein Co. Making Big Push For Derek Cianfrance’s Pines
The Place Beyond the Pines -- starring Bradley Cooper, Ryan Gosling and Eva Mendes -- made its world premiere Friday night at the festival. Buyers turned out in force to see the film, one of the most-hyped acquisition titles of the festival. A source close to the dealmaking tells The Hollywood Reporter that The Weinstein Co. has put in a bid for the film and a deal could be imminent.
- Prince Takes Over the 'Arsenio Hall Show,' Debuts New Funky Song
- A Train, a Trestle and 60 Seconds to Escape: How 'Midnight Rider' Victim Sarah Jones Lost Her Life
- 'Divergent' Star Shailene Woodley: The Next Jennifer Lawrence?
- 'Noah' Banned in Several Middle Eastern Countries
- Lindsay Lohan's OWN Series Gets First Official Trailer (Video)
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Pee-wee Herman's Bike From 'Pee-wee's Big Adventure' Sells For $36,600 On eBay
- HUVr Hoverboard Is Not Shipping In December (Or Ever, For That Matter)
- Stratosphere: A Conversation with Matt Sorum and Album Preview
- 'Grey's Anatomy' 'You Got to Hide Your Love Away' Recap: Yang and Owen Back in the Sack