Toronto 2012: Sony Pictures Classics Takes 'The Patience Stone'
The distributor will release the Middle East-set drama in 2013.
Even as the Toronto International Film Festival draws to a close today, Sony Pictures Classics picked up U.S. rights to The Patience Stone, which director Atiq Rahimi adapted from his own novel set in the Middle East.
The film stars Golshifteh Farahani, who starred in Asghar Farhadi’s About Elly, as a woman in a war-torn Middle Eastern country, who begins a relationship with a young soldier even as she is struggling to keep her husband, who is in a coma, alive.
It was produced by Michael Gentile and co-produced by Studio 37, Corniche Pictures and Razor Films and was acquired from Paris-based Le Pacte by SPC head of sales Camille Neel.
"Like A Separation last year this movie knocks you out on a very human level," SPC said in a statement. "Atiq Rahimi tells a fresh story that we've never seen before and it is satisfying on all levels. Golshifteh Farahani's performance is staggering. American audiences will love her and the movie as well.” SPC which will release the film in 2013.
- Scarlett Johansson, Lupita Nyong'o in Talks for Disney's 'Jungle Book' (Exclusive)
- Bryan Singer Breaks Silence on Abuse Claims: 'Outrageous, Vicious and Completely False'
- The Scene and Stars at the Tribeca Film Festival (Photos)
- Summer Movie Preview: Will Godzilla or Spider-Man (Or Angelina Jolie?) Dominate Your Cineplex?
- MOST SHARED
- MOST POPULAR
- Smells like Nostalgia: A Look at the Nirvana Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction
- Netflix Joining Programming Lineup Of 3 U.S. Cable-TV Services
- 'Grey's Anatomy' Recap: No Good News in 'Change of Heart'
- Cameron Diaz, Leslie Mann, & Kate Upton Attend Final 'Other Woman' Screening!
- Kristin Chenoweth & Jane Krakowski: Broadway Babies at 'Cabaret' Opening Night!
- Kate Middleton & Prince William Make Last Stop on Australia Trip
- Khloe Kardashian Endorses the Messy Bun Hairstyle, Wears Her Hair Down Instead